Friday 3 February 2017

Dreams which the Prophet saw - DREAMS IN ISLAM



Dreams which the Prophet saw


Narrated Ibn ‘Umar:
The Prophet said: “I dreamt that I was cleaning my teeth with a siwak (a twig with soft fibre and a cleansing juice) and two persons came to me.  One of them was older than the other and I gave the siwak to the younger.  I was told that I should give it to the older and so I did.”
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Ibn ‘Umar:
I heard Allah’s Apostle saying: “While I was asleep I was given a bowl full of milk (in a dream), and I drank of it to my fill until I noticed its wetness coming out of my nails, and then I gave the rest of it to ‘Umar.” They (the people) asked: “What have you interpreted (about the dream)? O Allah’s Apostle?” He said: “(It is religious) knowledge.”
 (Bukhari)   
Narrated Abu Sa’id Al-Khudri:
Allah’s Apostle said: “While I was asleep some people were displayed before me (in a dream). They were wearing shirts, some of which were merely covering their breasts, and some a bit longer. Then there passed before me ‘Umar bin al-Khattab wearing a shirt  (so long that) he was dragging it (on the ground behind him.)” They (the people) asked: “What have you interpreted (about the dream) O Allah’s Apostle?” He said: “Religion.” 
 (Bukhari)

Narrated ‘Aisha:
Allah’s Apostle said (to me): “You were shown to me twice in (my) dream. Behold, a man was carrying you in a silken piece of cloth and said to me: She is your wife, so uncover her,” and behold, it was you. I would then say (to myself): “If this is from Allah, then it must happen.” 
 (Bukhari)
 
Narrated ‘Aisha: 
Allah’s Apostle said to me: “You were shown to me twice (in my dream) before I married you.  I saw an angel carrying you in a silken piece of cloth, and I said to him: “Uncover her,” and behold, it was you. I said (to myself): “If this is from Allah, then it must happen.” Then you were shown to me, the angel carrying you in a silken piece of cloth, and I said (to him): “Uncover her”, and behold, it was you. I said (to myself): “If this is from Allah, then it must happen.” 
 (Bukhari)  

Narrated Abu Huraira: 
I heard Allah’s Apostle saying: “I have been sent with Jawam’i al-Kalim and I was made victorious with awe (caste into the hearts of the enemy), and while I was sleeping, the keys of the treasures of the earth were brought to me and were put in my hand.” Muhammad said, Jawami’-al-Kalim means the shortest expression carrying the widest meanings, i.e., that Allah expresses in one or two statements or thereabouts the numerous matters that used to be written in the books revealed before the coming of the Prophet. 
 (Bukhari)  

Narrated Ibn ‘Umar:
Allah’s Apostle said: “(I saw in a dream that) while I was standing at a well and drawing water therefrom, suddenly Abu Bakr and ‘Umar came to me. Abu Bakr took the bucket and drew one or two buckets (full of water), but there was weakness in his pulling, but Allah forgave him. Then Ibn Al-Khattab took the bucket from Abu Bakr’s hand and the bucket turned into a very large one in his hand. I have never seen any strong man among the people doing such a hard job as ‘Umar did. He pulled out so much water that the people (drank to their satisfaction) and watered their camels to their fill, (and then after quenching their thirst) they sat beside the water.”
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Abu Huraira:
We were sitting with Allah’s Apostle he said: “While I was sleeping, I saw myself in paradise. Suddenly I saw a woman performing ablution beside a palace. I asked: “For whom is this palace?” They (the angels) replied: “It is for ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab.” Then I remembered ‘Umar’s ghira (jealousy, sense of honor, earnest concern, self respect) and went back hurriedly.” On hearing that ‘Umar started weeping and said: “ Let my father and mother be sacrificed for you. O Allah’s Apostle! How dare I think of my Ghira being offended by you?” 
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Abu Huraira:
The Prophet said, “I have been given the keys of eloquent speech and given victory with awe (cast into the hearts of the enemy), and while I was sleeping last night, the keys of the treasures of the earth were brought to me till they were put in my hand.” Abu Huraira added: Allah’s Apostle left (this world) and now you people are carrying those treasures from place to place. 
 (Bukhari)

Narrated ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar: 
Allah’s Apostle said, “I saw myself (in a dream) near the Ka’aba  last night, and I saw a man with whitish red complexion, the best you may see amongst men of that complexion having long hair reaching his earlobes which was the best hair of its sort, and he had combed his hair and water was dropping from it, and he was performing the Tawaf around the Ka’aba while he was leaning on two men or on the shoulders of two men. I asked, ‘Who is this man?’ Somebody replied, ‘He is the Messiah, the son of Mary.’ Then I saw another man with very curly hair, blind in the right eye which looked like a protruding out grape. I asked, ‘Who is this?’ Somebody replied, ‘(He is) the Messiah, Al-Dajjal’.” Ibn Qatan resembles him more than anybody else among the people and Ibn Qatan was a man from Bani Al-Mustaliq from Khuza’a." 
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Anas bin Malik:
Allah’s Apostle used to visit Um Haram bint Milhan she was the wife of ‘Ubada bin As-Samit. One day the Prophet visited her and she provided him with food and started looking for lice in his head. Then Allah’s Apostle slept and afterwards woke up smiling. Um Haram asked, “What makes you smile, O Allah’s Apostle?” He said, “Some of my followers were presented before me in my dream as fighters in Allah’s Cause, sailing in the middle of the seas like kings on the thrones or like kings sitting on their thrones.” (The narrator Ishaq is not sure which of the expressions was correct). Um Haram added, ‘I said, “O Allah’s Apostle! Invoke Allah, to make me one of them;” So Allah’s Apostle invoked Allah for her and then laid his head down (and slept). Then he woke up smiling (again). (Um Haram added): I said, “What makes you smile, O Allah’s Apostle?” He said, “Some people of my followers were presented before me (in a dream) as fighters in Allah’s Cause.” He said the same as he had said before. I said, “O Allah’s Apostle! Invoke Allah to make me from them.” He said, “You are among the first ones.” Then  Um Haram sailed over the sea during the Caliphate of Muawiya bin Abu Sufyan, and she fell down from her riding animal after coming ashore, and died. 
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Samura bin Jundub:
Allah’s Apostle very often used to ask his companions: “Did anyone of you see a dream?” So dreams would be narrated to him by those whom Allah wished to tell. One morning the Prophet said: “Last night two persons came to me (in a dream) and woke me up and said to me: Proceed! I set out with them and we came across a man lying down, and behold, another man was standing over his head holding a big rock. Behold, he was throwing the rock at the man’s head, injuring it. The rock rolled away and the thrower followed it and took it back. By the time he reached the man, his head returned to the normal state. The thrower then did the same as he had done before. I said to my two companions, Subhan Allah! Who are these two persons? They said: Proceed!  So we proceeded and came to a man lying flat on his back and another man standing over his head with an iron hook, and behold, he would put the hook in one side of the man’s mouth and tear off that side of his face to the back (of the neck) and similarly tear his nose from front to back and his eye from front to back. Then he turned to the other side of the man’s face and did just as he had done with the other side. He hardly completed this side when the other side returned to its normal state. Then he returned to it to repeat what he had done before. I said to my two companions: Subhan Allah! Who are these two persons?  They said to me: Proceed!  So we proceeded and came across something like a Tannur (a kind of baking oven, a pit usually clay-lined for baking bread). I think, the Prophet said, in that oven there was much noise and many voices. The Prophet added: We looked into it and found naked men and women, and behold, a flame of fire was reaching to them from underneath, and when it reached them, they cried loudly. I asked them: Who are these? They said to me: Proceed!  And so we proceeded and came across a river. I think he said: . . . . red like blood.  The Prophet added: And behold, in the river there was a man swimming, and on the bank there was a man who had collected many stones. Behold. while the other man was swimming, he went near him. The former opened his mouth and the latter (on the bank) threw a stone into his mouth whereupon he went swimming again. He returned and every time the performance was repeated I asked my two companions: Who are these (two) persons? They replied, Proceed! Proceed! And we proceeded until we came to a man with a repulsive appearance, the most repulsive appearance you ever saw  in a man! Beside him there was a fire and he was kindling it and running around it. I asked my companions: Who is this (man)?  They said to me: Proceed! Proceed! So we proceeded until we reached a garden of deep green dense vegetation, having all sorts of spring colors. In the  midst of the garden there was a very tall man and I could hardly see his head because of his great height, and around him there were children in such a large number as I have never seen before. I said to my companions: Who is this? They replied: Proceed! Proceed!  So we proceeded until we came to a majestic huge garden, greater and better than I have ever seen! My two companions said to me: Go up and I went up. The Prophet added: So we ascended till we reached a city built of gold and silver bricks and we went to its gate and asked (the gatekeeper) to open the gate, and it was opened and we entered the city and found in it, men with one side of their bodies as handsome as the most handsome person you have ever seen, and the other side as ugly as the ugliest person you have ever seen. My two companions ordered those men to throw themselves into the river. Behold, there was a river flowing across (the city), and its water was like milk in whiteness. Those men went and threw themselves in it and then returned to us after the ugliness (of their bodies) had disappeared and they became in the best shape.  The Prophet further added: My two companions (angels) said to me: This place is the  Paradise of Eden (jannatu ‘adnin), and that is your place.  I raised up my sight, and behold, there I saw a palace like  white cloud! My two companions said to me: That (palace) is your place.  I said to them: May Allah bless you both! Let me enter it.  They replied: As for now, you will not enter it, but you shall enter it (one day). I said to them: I have seen many wonders tonight. What does all that mean which I have seen? They replied:  We will inform you: As for the first man you came upon whose head was being injured with the rock, he is the symbol of the one who studies the Qur’an and then neither recites it nor acts on its orders, and sleeps, neglecting the (performance of) the compulsory prayers (i.e., five daily prayers etc.). As for the man you came upon whose sides of mouth, nostrils and eyes were torn off from front to back, he is the symbol of the man who goes out of his house in the morning and tells so many lies that it spreads all over the world. And those naked men and women whom you saw in a construction resembling an oven, they are the adulterers and the adulteresses, and the man whom you saw swimming in the river and given a stone to swallow, is the one who consumes usury (Riba) and the bad looking man whom you saw near the fire kindling it and going round it, is Malik, the gatekeeper of Hell, and the tall man whom you saw in the garden, is Abraham and the children around him are those children who die with al-Fitra (the Islamic Faith). The narrator added: Some Muslims asked the Prophet: O Allah’s Apostle! What about the children of pagans?  The Prophet replied: And also the children of pagans.  The Prophet added: My two companions added: The men you saw half handsome and half ugly were those persons who had mixed an act that was good with another that was bad, but Allah forgave them.
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Abu Musa:
The Prophet said: “I saw in a dream that I was migrating from Makkah to a land where there were date palm trees. I thought that it might be the land of al-Yamama or Hajar, but behold, it turned out to be Yathrib (i.e., Madina). And I saw cows (being slaughtered) there, but the reward given by Allah is better (than worldly benefits). Behold, those cows proved to symbolize the believers (who were killed) on the day (of the battle) of Uhud, and the good (which I saw in the dream) was the good and the reward and the truth which Allah bestowed upon us after the battle of Badr, and that was the victory bestowed by Allah in the battle of Khaibar and the conquest of Makkah).” 
 (Bukhari)

‘Abdullah ibn‘Umar narrated the following concerning a dream of the Prophet in Medina. The Prophet said: “I saw (in a dream) a black woman with unkempt hair going out of Madina and settling at Mahai’a. I interpreted that as (a symbol of) the epidemic of Madina being transferred to Mahai’a, namely, al-Juhfa.” 
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Abu Musa:
The Prophet said” “I saw in a dream that I waved a sword and it broke in the middle, and behold, that symbolized the casualties the believers suffered on the day (of the battle) of Uhud.  Then I waved the sword again, and it became better than it had ever been before, and behold, that symbolized the conquest (of Makkah) which Allah brought about and the gathering of the believers.”
 (Bukhari)

Narrated ‘Abdullah bin ‘Umar: 
I heard Allah’s Apostle saying: “While I was asleep I saw that a cup full of milk was brought to me and I drank of it and gave the remainder to ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab.” They asked. What have you interpreted (about the dream)? O Allah’s Apostle?” The Prophet said: “(It is religious) knowledge.” 
 (Bukhari)

Narrated ‘Abdullah bin ‘Abbas:
Allah’s Apostle said: “While I was asleep two golden bangles were put in my two hands, so I became afraid and disliked it, but I was given permission to blow them off, and they flew away.  I interpret it as a symbol of two liars who will appear.” ‘Ubaidullah said: “One of them was al-’Ansi who was killed by Fairuz at Yemen and the other was Musailama (at Najd).”
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Ibn Abbas:
Musailima Al-Kazzab came during the lifetime of the Prophet and started saying: “If Muhammad gives me the rule after him, I will follow him.” And he came to Madina with a great number of the people of his tribe. Allah’s Apostle went to him in the company of Thabit bin Qais bin Shammas, and at that time, Allah’s Apostle had a stick of a date-palm tree in his hand. When he (i.e. the Prophet ) stopped near Musailima while the latter was amidst his companions, he said to him: “If you ask me for this piece (of stick), I will not give it to you, and Allah’s order you cannot avoid, (but you will be destroyed), and if you turn your back from this religion, then Allah will destroy you. And I think you are the same person who was shown to me in my dream, and this is Thabit bin Qais who will answer your questions on my behalf.”  Then the Prophet went away from him. I asked about the statement of Allah’s Apostle: “You seem to be the same person who was shown to me in my dream,” and Abu Huraira informed me that Allah’s Apostle said: “When I was sleeping, I saw (in a dream) two bangles of gold on my hands and that worried me. And then I was divinely inspired in the dream that I should blow on them, so I blew on them and both the bangles flew away. And I interpreted it that two liars (who would claim to be prophets) would appear after me. One of them has proved to be al-Ansi and the other, Musailima.” 
 (Bukhari)   
                                                         
Narrated Ibn ‘Abbas: 
“The Prophet once came out to us and said: Some nations were displayed before me (either in a dream or a vision). A prophet would pass in front of me with one man, and another with two men, and another with a group of people, and another with nobody with him. Then I saw a great crowd covering the horizon and I wished that they were my followers, but it was said to me: This is Moses and his followers. Then it was said to me: Look.  I looked and saw a big gathering with a large number of people covering the horizon. It was said: Look this way and that way.  So I saw a big crowd covering the horizon. Then it was said to me: These are your followers, and among them there are 70,000 who will enter Paradise without (being asked about their) accounts.  Then the people dispersed and the Prophet did not tell who those 70,000 were. So the companions of the Prophet started talking about that and some of them said: As regards us, we were born in the era of heathenism, but then we believed in Allah and His Apostle. We think however, that these (70,000) are our offspring.  That talk reached the Prophet who said:  These (70,000) are the people who do not draw an evil omens (an example in pagan Arabia would be omens of  bad luck which were linked with birds) and do not get themselves tattooed or branded and do not indulge in ruqya (magic, spells, charms, incantations), but put their trust (only) in their Lord. Then ‘Ukasha bin Muhsin got up and said: O Allah’s Apostle!  Am I one of those (70,000)?  The Prophet said: Yes.  Then another person got up and said: Am I one of them?  The Prophet said: ‘Ukasha has anticipated you.”  
 (Bukhari)

Muhammad al-Akili, in his ‘Introduction’ to his work: ‘Ibn Seerin’s Dictionary of Dreams’, makes mention of certain other dreams of the Prophet sallalahu ‘alaihi wa sallam  as follows:

“Once Allah’s Prophet related a dream to his blessed companion Abu Bakr. He said: I saw in a dream that we were climbing a ladder.  At the end, I reached two steps further than you did.  Abu Bakr replied: O Messenger of Allah, Allah will call your soul back unto his mercy, and I shall live two and one half years after you have departed from this world.

In another dream he said: I saw a flock of black sheep tailed by another flock of white sheep following me.  Abu Bakr replied: The Arabs will follow you first, then others will follow you.”   

“Allah’s Messenger once said: Last night I saw in a dream that we were visiting the house of ‘Uqbah bin Raf’i; then Ratib ibn Tab came and joined us.  I interpreted it to mean that we will rise in honor in this world and in the hereafter and that our religion will be firmly established. (The Prophet interpreted the name rafi to indicate the honor and exaltation, and the name Ratib to indicate the meaning of a blessed religion).” 30

No comments:

Post a Comment