Friday 10 February 2017

Dreams of the Companions of the Prophet - DREAMS IN ISLAM



Dreams of the Companions of the Prophet


Narrated Kharija bin Zaid bin Thabit: 
Um al-’Ala, an Ansari woman who had given the pledge of allegiance to Allah’s Apostle, said: “Uthman bin Maz’un came in our share when the Ansars drew lots to distribute the emigrants (to dwell) among themselves, He became sick and we looked after (nursed) him till he died. Then we shrouded him in his clothes. Allah’s Apostle came to us, I (addressing the dead body) said: “May Allah’s Mercy be on you, O Aba As-Sa’ib! I testify that Allah has honored you.” The Prophet asked: “How do you know that?”  I replied: “I do not know, by Allah.”  He said: “As for him, death has come to him and I wish him all good from Allah. By Allah, though I am Allah’s Apostle, I neither know what will happen to me, nor to you”  Um al-’Ala said: “By Allah, I will never attest the righteousness of anybody after that.” She added: “Later I saw in a dream a flowing spring for ‘Uthman. So I went to Allah's Apostle and mentioned that to him. He said, that is (the symbol of) his good deeds (the reward for) which is going on for him.”
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Ibn ‘Umar:
Men from the companions of Allah’s Apostle used to see dreams during the lifetime of Allah’s Apostle and they used to narrate those dreams to Allah’s Apostle. Allah’s Apostle would interpret them as Allah wished. I was a young man and used to stay in the masjid before my wedlock. I said to myself: “If there were any good in myself, I too would see what these people see.”  So when I went to bed one night, I said: “O Allah! If you see any good in me, show me a good dream.” So while I was in that state, there came to me (in a dream) two angels. In the hand of each of them there was a mace of iron, and both of them were taking me to Hell, and I was between them, invoking Allah: “O Allah! I seek refuge with You from Hell.” Then I saw myself being confronted by another angel holding a mace of iron in his hand. He said to me: “Do not be afraid, you will be an excellent man if you only pray more often.” So they took me till they stopped me at the edge of Hell, and behold, it was built inside like a well and it had side posts like those of a well, and beside each post there was an angel carrying an iron mace. I saw therein many people hanging upside down with iron chains, and I recognized therein some men from the Quraish. Then (the angels) took me to the right side. I narrated this dream to (my sister) Hafsa. Hafsa told me that she had mentioned it to the Prophet and he said: “Abdullah is a righteous man, if only he would pray more at night.” (Az-Zuhri said: “After that ‘Abdullah used to pray more at night.”) 
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Ibn ‘Abbas:
A man came to Allah’s Apostle and said: “I saw in a dream, a cloud having shade. Butter and honey were dropping from it and I saw the people gathering it in their hands, some gathering much and some a little. And behold, there was a rope extending from the earth to the sky, and I saw that you (the Prophet) held it and went up, and then another man held it and went up and (after that) another (third) held it and went up, and then after another (fourth) man held it, but it broke and then got connected again.”  Abu Bakr said: “O Allah’s Apostle! Let my father be sacrificed for you! Allow me to interpret this dream.” The Prophet said to him: “Interpret it.” Abu Bakr said: “The cloud with shade symbolizes Islam, and the butter and honey dropping from it, symbolizes the Qur’an, its sweetness dropping and some people learning much of the Qur’an and some a little. The rope which is extended from the sky to the earth is the Truth which you (the Prophet) are following. You follow it and Allah will raise you high with it, and then another man will follow it and will rise up with it and another person will follow it and then another man will follow it but it will break and then it will be connected for him and he will rise up with it. O Allah’s Apostle! Let my father be sacrificed for you! Am I right or wrong?” The Prophet replied: “You are right in some of it and wrong in some.” Abu Bakr said: “O Allah’s Prophet! By Allah, you must tell me in what I was wrong.”  The Prophet said, “Do not swear.”
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Qais bin ‘Ubada:
I was sitting in a gathering in which there was Sa’d bin Malik and Ibn ‘Umar. ‘Abdullah bin Salam passed in front of them and they said: “This man is from the people of Paradise.”  I said to ‘Abdullah bin Salam: “They said so-and-so.” He replied: “Subhan Allah! They ought not to have said things of which they have no knowledge, but I saw (in a dream) that a post was fixed in a green garden. At the top of the post there was a handhold and below it there was a servant. I was asked to climb (the post). So I climbed it till I got hold of the handhold.” Then I narrated this dream to Allah’s Apostle. Allah’s Apostle said: “Abdullah will die while still holding the firm reliable handhold (i.e., Islam).” 
 (Bukhari) 
Narrated Ibn ‘Umar:
Some people were shown the Night of Qadr as being in the last seven days (of the month of Ramadan). The Prophet said, “Seek it in the last seven days (of Ramadan).” 
 (Bukhari)  

Narrated Kharija bin Zaid bin Thabit:
Um al-’Ala, an Ansari woman who had given a pledge of allegiance to Allah’s Apostle, told me: “The Muhajirin (emigrants) were distributed amongst us by drawing lots, and we got ‘Uthman bin Maz’un in our share. We made him stay with us in our house. Then he suffered from a disease which proved fatal. When he died and was given a bath and was shrouded in his clothes, Allah’s Apostle came. I said, (addressing the dead body), ‘O Aba As-Sa’ib! May Allah be Merciful to you! I testify that Allah has honored you.’  Allah’s Apostle asked, “How do you know that Allah has honored him?” I replied, “Let my father be sacrificed for you, O Allah’s Apostle! On whom else shall Allah bestow His honor?” Allah’s Apostle replied, “As for him, by Allah, death has come to him. By Allah, I wish him all good (from Allah). By Allah, in spite of the fact that I am Allah’s Apostle, I do not know what Allah will do to me.”  Um al-’Ala added, “By Allah, I will never attest the righteousness of anybody after that.”   Narrated Az-Zuhri: Regarding the above narration the Prophet said, “I do not know what Allah will do to him (Uthman bin Maz’un).” Um al- ‘Ala said, “I felt very sorry for that, and then I slept and saw in a  dream a flowing spring for ‘Uthman bin Maz’un, and told Allah’s Apostle of that, and he said:“that flowing spring symbolizes his good deeds.”
 (Bukhari)
                                                          
Narrated ‘Abdullah bin Salam: 
(In a dream) I saw myself in a garden, and there was a pillar in the middle of the garden, and there was a handhold at the top of the pillar. I was asked to climb it. I said: “I cannot.” Then a servant came and lifted up my clothes and I climbed (the pillar), and then got hold of the handhold, and I woke up while still holding it.  I narrated that to the Prophet who said: “The garden symbolizes the garden of Islam, and the handhold is the firm Islamic handhold which indicates that you will be adhering firmly to Islam until you die.” 
 (Bukhari)

Narrated Ibn ‘Umar:
I saw in a dream a piece of silken cloth in my hand, and in whatever direction in Paradise I waved it, it flew, carrying me there. I narrated this (dream) to (my sister) Hafsa and she told it to the Prophet who said (to Hafsa): “Indeed, your brother is a righteous man,” or, “Indeed, ‘Abdullah is a righteous man.” 
 (Bukhari)

“Um al-Fadl once came to Allah’s Messenger sallalahu ‘alaihi wa sallam  and said: O Allah’s Messenger!  I saw an awful dream.  He replied: Blessed be it.  She continued:  I saw a piece of your flesh put in my lap!  Allah’s Messenger smiled and said:  My daughter Fatima will beget a son, and you shall take him in your lap.  Later on Fatima conceived a child from her husband Ali, and Um al-Fadl placed the new-born in her lap.” 31
                                                                              
“Once the Caliph Omar bin al-Khattab appointed a judge for Syria.  When the man left Makkah, one night he saw in a dream that the sun, the moon, and the stars were fighting against one another.  Then the man himself became a star and participated in the fight in the dream.  Halfway through his journey the man returned to Madina and told the Caliph of his dream.  Omar asked:  When you became a star in the dream did you fight on the side of the sun or that of the moon? The man replied: I fought on the side of the moon.  Omar replied: Go away, and do not work for me.  Later on the man joined the army of Yazeed in Syria and died fighting the caliphate during the battle of Siffin.” 32
                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment