Sunday 24 November 2013

DESIRABLES OF I’TIKAF



DESIRABLES OF I’TIKAF

Q.   What things are desirable in I'tikaf?
*  These are:
             i.     Talking things pious and decent;
           ii.     Busying oneself in the recitation of the Qur-an;
         iii.     Studying and teaching to others the things of religion;
          iv.     Exhorting others to do good;
            v.     Sitting for seclusion in the main Masjid (with arrangement for the Jum'ah prayer).

TIMINGS FOR I’TIKAF

Q.   What is the minimum required duration for I'tikaf?
*  As fasting is a precondition for Wajib I'tikaf, it must needs be for a minimum period of one day. Thus, it is not correct to intend for I'tikaf for part of the day, say two, three or four hours or for the night.
The time stipulated for the emphasized Masnun seclusion is the last ten days of Ramadhan. There is no stipulation of time for the Nafl I'tikaf. It could even be for five or ten minutes. If we make intention for I'tikaf each time we enter the Masjid we will get reward for seclusion for several for several times every day.

PERMISSIBLES OF I’TIKAF

Q.   Under what circumstances can a person observing I'tikaf come out of the Masjid?
*  He can come out of the bounds of the Masjid for anyone of the following reasons:
             i.     For easing the call of nature;
           ii.     For having the commanded bath;
         iii.     On a Jum'ah day well in time to be able and reach the Jum'ah Masjid and say four Masnun Rak'ahs before the start of the Imam’s address;
          iv.     For calling the Azan from the spot fixed for it.

Q.   How far can one to go ease the call of nature?
*  One can go to his house for the purpose however far it is. In case he has two houses, he must go to the one that is nearer the Masjid.

Q.   Can a person in I'tikaf come out of the Masjid to join the funeral prayers?
*  If he had affirmed the intention to move out of his seclusion for such a purpose, he can do so. Otherwise, he cannot leave the Masjid.

Q.   What other things are permissible during the period of seclusion?
*  Eating, drinking and buying things of necessity provided these things are not available inside the Masjid. Solemnization of one’s Nikah (marriage contract) is also permissible during I'tikaf.

UNDESIRABLES AND NULLIFIERS OF I’TIKAF

Q.   What things are undesirable in I'tikaf?
*  Things undesirable in I'tikaf are:
             i.     Going completely speechless regarding it as a form of worship;
           ii.     Bringing and trading merchandise with in the premises of the Masjid;
         iii.     Indulging in quarrels or saying unseemly things.

Q.   What things nullify the I'tikaf?
*  The following acts nullify the I'tikaf:
             i.     Coming out of the Masjid intentionally or through forgetfulness;
           ii.     Having sex act during I'tikaf;
         iii.     Overstaying in the house after the valid excuse for which one had come out of the Masjid (such as easing the call of nature etc.) was over;
          iv.     Coming out of the Masjid because of sickness or fear;
All the above circumstances will terminate the I'tikaf instantly.

Q.   Is it ordained to redeem a broken I'tikaf at later date?
*  Redeeming an ordained I'tikaf that has been disturbed is ordained. Masnun and Nafl seclusions, if disturbed in the middle, need not to be redeemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment